Return to Index page                                                                                                               Next page

Newmarket Local History Society (page 2)


This old print is entitled 'Entrance to Newmarket 1830'
Apart from the absence of modern day traffic the scene is readily identifiable with the same view today.
The picture is taken from the book Gt Britain Illustrated, published in London in 1830.
William Westall, ARA, made the painting from which this plate was engraved. He was born in 1781 and died in London in 1850.
Great Britain Illustrated was published by Charles Tilt of Fleet Street, and the pages of text for it (one for each print)
were written by Thomas Moule, who enjoyed a rather chequered career as writer, bookseller and Post Office clerk.
According to him, Newmarket at this time "consists of one long wide street of handsome houses, in two parishes and standing in two counties".
This information is attributed to David Fuegi


Calendar of Events

All events commence at 7.30 pm unless otherwise stated

15th August - No Meeting
19th September - 'Picture Postcards from World War 1'- Vanessa Mann
17th October - 'The History of Addenbrooke's Hospital'- Hilary Ritchie
21st November - 'Wrought by Fire'- Sandra Easom
19th December - Christmas party


NLHS participated in All Saints Community Day on Saturday October 1st 2016. This was our display.

In April this year Rosemary Forman retired as our Secretary after serving more than 20 years.
Our meeting on 20th Septembert 2016 provided our first opportunity to say an official thank you for her long and capable service to NLHS.
Presentations were made by Peter Norman (see above) and Rodney Vincent (picture below)

April 19th 2016. At the Society's AGM two new members were elected to the Committee. Abigael Brand has taken on the position of Secretary, following Rosemary Foreman who has stood down after carrying out the duty for more than 20 years, Rosemary will, however, remain a member.
Long term member Maureen Hogg has also agreed to serve on the Committee.
NLHS Chair Sandra Easom gave a comprehensive report on the many activities of the Society over the past year and was pleased to note that despite the many competing attractions of today's world our our membership continues to thrive,
Treasurer Joan Watkinson issued the annual accounts sheet which show a healthy balance.
Rod Vincent reported on the website which is now in good shape after an uncertain time last autumn when our internet server closed down.
Finally Peter Norman presented a screen show of the old White Lodge Hospital before it closed in the 1980s and became the NHS Newmarket Community Hospital.
Peter also displayed a fine selection of photograps and articles about The Queen's many visits to Newmarket, marking her 90th birthday on April 21st

March 19th 2016. Our Society took part in an event at The Memorial Hall organized by The Newmarket Lions to demonstrate The Spirit of Newmarket. Advice and information was available from Peter Norman, Joan Shaw, David & Chris Rippington and Barrie Hough

January 19th 2016. Owing to a late cancellation, Local Councillor Richard Fletcher agreed at short notice to be the speaker of the evening and gave a very interesting and knowledgeable talk on WWII code breaker and local hero, Bill Tutte. Richard was Secretary of the group responsible for setting up the Bill Tutte memorial on Rutland Hill.
He related how Tutte, who was born in Newmarket of ordinary parents, went to Cheveley village elementary school, The boy turned out have an exceptional intellect and won scholarships first to school at Cambridge and then to Trinity College. He was chosen to join the secret code breaking establishment at Bletchley Park along with the some of the greatest analytical brains of the time.
Richard explained that although most people associate Bletchley with Alan Turing, Tutte never received full acknowledegement for his incredible work in breaking into Hitler's top secret code that he used to have direct contact with his generals in the field. General Eisenhower is reported to have said that Tutte's work shortened the war by two years.
You can read more about Bill Tutte on our website Local Personalities article
Bill Tutte

CORRESPONDENCE AND QUERIES appear on separate pages, to view the current page (9) select here
Contributions or comments on local history matters are always welcome - address at foot of this page.

Please note we are not a Family History Society.
Research into family history can be very time consuming and while we would like to help we are unable to follow up geneology queries unless the individuals concerned were high profile personalities of general local history interest. The Family History Societies, County Records Offices or Church records are lines of research for family history queries (see links below).

A source for obtaining copies of birth, marriage and death certificates going back to the latter half of the 19th century is available online at also please note this is a commercial site and there is a charge for each certificate obtained.

Debbie Byrne has had several years experience of researching this subject and gives this advice: a brilliant site through which you can access all the England and Wales censuses from 1841-1901, the Scottish censuses of 1841 & 1851,and all the civil registrations of birth death and marriages in England and Wales from 1837 to the 1900s. It is a pay per view site but they do offer a 14 day free trial during which you get unlimited access to the records. There are various payment options (I currently pay about 10 per month for unlimited access). Very easy to use. and I've found it invaluable.

See also A family tree resource Again this is a pay per view site which gives access to all the civil registrations in England and Wales from 1837 to the 1900s and the 1861 & 1891 England and Wales Censuses. It is not so easy to use as and it is easier to waste money looking at the wrong details. It is, however, the site you must use to order birth marriage and death certificates which are often vital to identify the parents of ancestors and so get back another generation. This site also has a lot of military records including births and marriages of forces serving overseas dating back to the 1800s. Another good site and this time it's free! It gives access to the International Geneaological Index compiled from parish records around the world. The details go back, in some cases, to the 1500s and up to about 1840 and show christening dates with the names of parents and marriage dates with the names of spouses. There is also free access to the 1881 England and Wales census

Other sites such as GENUKI which give details of the area of interest and links to other sites such as family history societies. The sites above, though, are great for getting the basics of who lived when and where. The only problem wiith family history is that not everyone got married or had their children christened and it wasn't compulsory to register births, deaths and marriages until 1870. However, the later generations can usually be found on the censuses.

The RootsChat site
Another site very useful for exchanging research into past family or friends is
This includes some correspondence about the old Icewell Hill Newmarket complex at;topicseen Webmaster

Suffolk County Records Office at Bury St. Edmunds is a good source of information covering the west of the county, including Newmarket. For instance they have microfiche copies of the pages of The Newmarket Journal, vey useful for tracing local events from the past. Go to their site select here

THE CRAVEN CLUB & THE CARLTON HOTEL - memories of Newmarket's stylish past!
A query from Alan Tomlin (see Correspondence pages Jan. 22nd 2008) sparked an investigation in the history of the Craven Club and we quote from the book 'Newmarket - a photographic history of your town' published in 2001 and edited by Joan Shaw who is a member of our Society.

"The prestigious Craven Club had rooms in the Carlton Hotel Building. Fred Astaire, who had a horse in training with Jack Leach, was a member of this club in the 1920s and came here when he was performing at The Palace Theatre London."

The Carlton, formerly the Carlton Hotel, was the impressive tall building on the north west side of the High Street, demolished in 1977 to make way for the Rookery Shopping Development. It had a ballroom "used for many and varied dances, from local hops to the hunt balls. The Winter Garden had a fountain in it that came from a natural spring. When the modern Boots was built here it was reported at the time that tons of concrete were used to suppress the spring.
During the war, the American Red Cross used part of it for a club for the American forces stationed in the area."
Dances were held there in the 1940s and many are the tales of the sometimes wild parties, especially during wartime. Many people consider it a great shame that this rather magnificent building with its ornate frontage, domed cupola and first floor balcony overlooking the High Street was demolished and replaced by the relatively drab buildings now there. We have a number of photographs showing The Carlton as it used to be.
Getting back to the Craven Club, it moved from the Carlton to Primrose House. This is the large house once owned by Lord Rosebery and now occupied by Cartwrights the electricians and Kitchens & Things. T he rather grand entrance door is still there and at the time of writing a few of the original internal architectural details still exist. We have pictures in our archives.

Pot Lids
As well as often being minature works of art, Pot Lids can give an interesting insight into local history. Graham Evans published a book in 2008 giving pictures and details of 215 East Anglian pot lids, several of them advertising Newmarket chemists. We are indebted to him for the images below. (See also Corrrespondence December 2006)

Return to NLHS Home page                           Next page (pg 3)