Return to Index page                                                                          Icewell Hill 2nd page                                       Next main page (6)

Newmarket Local History Society (page 5)

Old Icewell Hill

In the nineteen sixties major changes to Newmarket began when the old Icewell Hill complex of streets and houses was demolished, making way for the present blocks of flats.
Today many people remember with affection the jumbled warren of streets, houses pubs and shops that made up Icewell Hill, and the community spirit that was lost with the buildings.
But this was the brave new post war world and people had to be housed in modern dwellings, centrally heated with bathrooms and other amenities we now take for granted but completely lacking in the old buildings.
Thanks to local historian Peter Norman, former resident of Icewell Hill Derek Coombes and NLHS archives we are able to recapture in pictures some of the atmosphere of Icewell Hill as it was.

This 1896 map of the area shows how Regent Street (now the start of Rowley Drive) splits by St Mary's Church graveyard, with a building in the
middle of the road. Fitzroy Street turned off to the left, but the main road (now the continuation of Rowley Drive) bore to the right and ended in paddocks.
The area was originally Crown land that gained its name from the Icewell that existed there to keep food fresh for the Royal residence at Palace House.
The latter was once owned by the Rothchild family. The location of the old corn windmill is shown top left.

An ariel view of the old complex as it was in 1960.
Exning Road is seen at the top of the picture - Regent Street (now Rowley Drive) on the right
The large house to the right of the crossed paths and facing Regent Street was The Red House, where the
much respected Newmarket resident Col. Arthur Herbert Catchpole (1880 - 1962) lived his last years.

Barton Place

Jarvis Yard 1955

Victory Lane 1934

Some young Victory Lane inhabitants - same year as above

Next page (pg 6)      Icewell Hill 2nd page       Return to previous page (pg 4)      Return to NLHS Home Page