c1900 state of trade in 1907 late 1960's
One of the very many Inns in the Rookery area, and like so many was often handed down in the family. Appears to have suffered badly from a down turn in trade at turn of C19-C20.IT is not certain, but the small building to the right may have been an annexe, run as a separate business "The Wine Vaults". The word "Wine" can just be discerned on the window in one photograph.
Ultimately the magistrates decided there were far too many drinks outlets in St Mary's ward and the Three Tuns was one of those chosen for closure in 1912-13
It then became a ladies hairdresser, and through an assortment of uses, including of course the obligatory bookmaker, Elijah Moore, before being demolished to make way for the new Rookery shopping precinct in late 1960's/early 1970's
Now (2019) covered by The Pantry
Year Licensee Owner source 1787 Chapman's map 1827 Thomas Tilbrook (died) Bury & Norwich Post 1839 Jonathan Tilbrook possibly his father (brother died 1828) White 1843 James Clark Bury & Norwich Post 1855 James Clark White 1860 Stephen Benefield Bury & Norwich Post 1861 " " census 1867 " " bankrupt Cambridge Chronicle & Journal 1868 James Wellham Morris 1871 Jan. James Wellham to the Star & Garter, Cheveley Morris 1871 Charles Deeks census 1876 " " Bury & Norwich Post 1878 Charles Double Bury & Norwich Post 1881 Charles Double census 1885 Charles Double (died Oct 1886) White 1886 Clemency Double (Mrs) widow of above Newmarket Journal 1889 Richard Jeffery to son William Jeffery Bury & Norwich Post 1891 William Jeffery (died 1892) Star Brewery census 1892 Sarah Jeffery (widow of previous) Star Brewery believed to be 1901 Raymond Jeffery (son of previous) " " census 1903 Francis William Pinn at Rising Sun in 1901 Cambridge Independent Press 1907 Frederick William Gibbs Star Brewery Cambridge Independent Press 1913 Three Tuns sold un licensed Newmarket Journal
state of trade in 1907