Only record seen so far is Peter May's book "Changing Face of Newmarket 1600-1760" , where it is mentioned as being acquired by Walter Poulter some time before the fire of 1863.|
Reputably near the Cornhill, by Frogmore. Frogmore was an area between the back of the Bull yard and the Watercourse. This area was destroyed by the fire of 1683.
There is however another possibility, there was on the corner of Sun Lane and Park Lane a cafe by the sign of Black Boy. Those premises were an off licence in the early 20th century. Was Tweed's TV shop for several years post WW2.
BACK to SEARCH page